Non WWW DNS Server Problems

So I’ve just made a Wordpress website, connected it via Cloudflare and used a Freenom Domain.
The website functions normal on: “www.nendoaddicts.ga” but not when the website is accessed without the WWW.

As the Freenom Team only looks at the non WWW version they might soon close the domain as it’s “not working” completely for them.

The thing I get with the non WWW version is that the DNS Name can not be resolved: “ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED”.

I’ve already looked into this and set my htaccess file to properly redirect non www to www with the following code:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^nendoaddicts\.ga$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.nendoaddicts.ga/$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

But that didn’t really help as it has to be something to do with the name server, which currently is configured on Cloudflare as following:

And I even made a redirect via Page Rules: http://i.imgur.com/e2SuJRR.png

So I’m not really sure what the cause of this is, as this is also the first time I’m working with 000webhost and Freenom together with Cloudflare.

So if anyone could inform me what I should do to get the non WWW redirection properly setup, then I would thank you in advance.

I see what you did.

You need to remove the domain from your 000webhost panel and move your current CNAME record. Then add the two CNAME records below.

@ points to need-addicts.000webhostapp.com
www points to nendoaddicts.ga

Then re-add your domain in the 000webhost panel without WWW.

1 Like

I get the logic and currently set that up as so, but seems either the DNS servers need to be refreshed or something else is amiss as I get that the Domain “nendoaddicts.ga CNAME must be pointed to nendo-addicts.000webhostapp.com” message, even though it is.

This happens to some users. Let the record propagate over the next 24 hours and it should work.

1 Like

Thought as much, alright thanks for the information. I’ll get back to it tomorrow or so :wink:

Seems after 20 hours that the CNAME is still not registered, that’s a bit fishy to be honest.

When doing a CNAME search on “nendoaddicts.ga” it also comes out empty (that no CNAME’s are found) any suggestions?

I’m currently still using Cloudflare and I am trying to add it via Point Domain in the 000webhost cpanel.

This happens to about half of the people that use Cloudflare. This is an internal problem because Cloudflare hides their records. What you need to do is turn off the orange cloud in Cloudflare, add it to 000webhost, and then turn the orange cloud back on again. Then it will work with HTTPS.

Alright I’ll give that a try and report back in like a couple or so hours! Thanks for the continuous support!

1 Like

Alright so that did the trick. Things we’ve learned from this:

1. When using cloudflare point it to your 000webhostapp.com
  2. When pointing the “orange” cloud has to be turned off to have the CNAME register properly, after this it can be turned on again once the point link has been made.
  3. The root @ has to link to your 000webhostapp.com and the WWW to your domain.

Either way I hope that solves it as well for other people in the future who might have this setup, this is by far different than any other setup’s I’ve done with Cloudflare so I do appreciate the support!

You’re correct. I’ll update my tutorial.